We’ve all felt a little stressed at some point in our lives, right? Anything can set it off. Maybe we’re late for an important event, or our kids have done something naughty at school. Maybe whatever it is that’s leaving you feeling this way wouldn’t seem like such a big deal to most people, but it’s a problem to you.
The thing with stress is, just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t eating away at you like some nasty disease. People think that stress can’t be that bad because it’s mental, rather than physical, but more of a focus needs to be put on mental health these days than ever before. Mental health directly affects physical health and many other things in a person’s life. Romantic relationships, friendships, careers, and so much more can all be affected by stress. It’s far more severe than you probably think.
Why Stress Is More Serious Than You Think
Stress can make it super difficult for you to control your emotions. You might burst out crying at an inappropriate time, or shout at your boss for the slightest thing. Even mild stress can do this. In some cases, it can raise adrenaline and help a person perform better, but you’ll find that stress can also make you do things that you wouldn’t usually do. Stress can even promote horrible diseases, such as cancer and heart disease. It has been linked with painful problems, such as a bad back, and this can mean taking trips to Family Chiropractic Plus to live a better quality of life. Stress has also been linked with fatal accidents and suicide. Stress can make you gain or lose weight, and make you look older. Stress also weakens your immune system and can lead to long-term disability.
This invisible feeling is far stronger than anybody would like to believe. Sure, it comes and goes, but the effects it brings with it can be devastating.
Even if you don’t suffer any permanent damage from stress you might find things like racing thoughts, overwhelm, constant worrying, dizziness, and sleep issues plague your life.
Even Kids Can Get Stressed
Did you know that even kids can get stressed? Kids can get stressed due to pressures at school, trying to fit in, and they can even take cues from you if you’re stressed all the time. It’s important you look out for the signs of stress in kids to ensure that they are coping well with their life. Just because they don’t have mortgages to pay and jobs to go to doesn’t mean they aren’t feeling the effects of the modern world just as much as you!
Now that you know how overwhelming stress can be, what can you do about it?
- Find a way to manage stress that suits you. This might be taking a hot bath or reading a good book.Meditate. It isn’t just for hippies, and it can change your life.
- Cut back on bad habits like smoking and drinking. Alcohol is a depressant.
- Cut back on caffeine – it can make your heart race and stress much worse. Drink a caffeine free hot drink such as Rooibos tea or chamomile instead.
- Avoid drugs of all kinds (unless you are prescribed them).
- Make sure you’re getting plenty of quality sleep.
- Spend more time with your loved ones and open up to them. A problem shared can be a problem halved.
- Find a professional to speak with. Sometimes they can help to put everything in perspective and come up with solutions. You can even find online counselors if you would rather not go to somebody in person.
- Practice breathing exercises. Deep breathing for just a couple of minutes during a stressful situation can help.
- Use essential oils that are good for stress.
- Treat yourself to a massage.
- Stay away from the news.
- Try to appreciate everything you have and put a positive spin on things.
- If your lifestyle affords, get a pet. A dog or a cat could be a great, scientifically proven way to reduce stress.
- Try out adult coloring, knitting, or another therapeutic hobby. Science backs these up and says they help us to be more mindful!
There are so much more ways to combat stress, and you shouldn’t neglect to do it now you know how serious it can be.
Do you have any methods you enjoy that help you to keep stress at bay? Make sure you leave them in the comments section below!